Refrigerator and Freezer Recycling
Say goodbye to your old refrigerator or freezer and we'll give you $50!
Central Hudson can help lower your monthly energy bills -- and pay you to do it! We'll give you $50 to recycle your old, working refrigerator or freezer. We'll even pick it up, free of charge, and properly recycle it.
While that old appliance in the basement or garage may provide more storage, it's not worth the additional cost on your electric bill. By recycling your old appliance, you can also save up to $100 a year on your energy bill.
How to Participate
Inside Your Refrigerator
- Book your appointment today by clicking here or by calling 866-706-3995.
- The $50 reward will be mailed to you within 4 weeks after pickup of your refrigerator or freezer.
- You must be a Central Hudson residential electric customer.
- You must own the refrigerator or freezer, and it must be 10-30 cubic feet.
- Appliance must be in working (cooling) order.
- Appliance must be plugged in the night prior to pickup.
- Your appliance will be picked up, at no charge, from the address listed on your billing account.
- Limit of two appliances per household.
- Through-the-wall and/or window air conditioners can also be recycled along with a qualifying refrigerator or freezer. The $50 recycling incentive does NOT apply towards air conditioners.
With Central Hudson's Appliance Recycling Program, over 95 percent of the appliance is properly destroyed and recycled, preventing it from entering a landfill.
Save Energy and Money
- Each old refrigerator or freezer requires an average of 700 to 1,600 kilowatt-hours (kwh) to operate annually.
- If a spare refrigerator used in a basement or garage is removed and not replaced, energy savings can amount to 1,200 kWh/year, with an average $100 reduction in annual electricity charges.*
*Actual energy and cost savings will vary by equipment model and region. These estimates are conservative and based on national averages (www.energystar.gov).